TM-55 HD POE HDMI PoE Extender not working with network switch

I have 3 TVs in my house and a Sky Q box in one of the rooms. I have 2 CAT5 cables coming from that room going to each TV in the other rooms. I have 2 TM-55s and the HDMI signal transfers perfectly to each of the rooms when I have a direct connection to each of them separately (without going through a switch) i.e. Sky -> HDMI cable -> TM-55 Tx -> Cat5 cable -> TM-55 Rx -> HDMI cable -> TV

I'm using one of the TM-55 transmitters in the Sky box room, and a receiver in each of the other rooms. What I have been doing all along to get the HDMI signal to each of the rooms was to manually disconnect the CAT5 cable from the Tx output and insert the other one. However as I have 3 TVs I want to have all 3 of them connected at all times. I bought a network switch and hooked it up so that the TM-55 Tx output is going into one of the switch ports, with each of the 2 CAT cables going to 2 other ports. However I'm getting no signal in those 2 rooms. I wonder if a regular network switch doesn't work with HDMI signals? Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue? I've attached a drawing of my setup.

TM55 is a HDMI POE extender. It comes with a Tx (transmitter) and an Rx (receiver). It's purpose is to route a HDMI signal a distance longer than the HDMI cable length by converting the signal to Ethernet and back to HDMI. It does so by taking a HDMI signal (HDMI input on the Tx) and converting it to Ethernet (CAT5/6 cable on the Tx output to Rx input) and then converting it back into HDMI (HDMI output on the Rx).

I'm using it to route HDMI from my set top box in one room to TVs in other rooms.

I know this sub forum category is for TM-5000 series but I didn't see any specific one for TM-55.

Attachments

Yes that Switch is NOT! POE you need a POE switch, as HDMI over Ethernet requires power to operate correctly.

a POE switch say 5 port is around £50-£60 and sometimes not all ports are POE 3 might be and the other 2 are standard

But seeing as you only need 2 then they will be fine with a 2 port one.

or send everything back and buy this: http://www.technomate.com/products/TM%2d50-HD-4POE-Kit.html
Thanks Digi. Don't think I'd be able to return them as they are already opened. But I think I might have a solution. The TM-55s came with a power supply for both the Tx and the Rx. The one for the Rx wouldn't normally be required because of the POE, but they do supply it in case the CAT cable length is excessive causing signal degradation. But for my case using the non-POE switch I think it should work. I haven't yet tried this though as I've been away. I'll try it when I get a chance and let you know how it goes.

Anyone understand why it is still not working with the non-POE switch, but with both the Tx and Rx powered up? Could something be happening in the switch itself?

digi247 have you ever tried something like this before with success i.e. pass something like a Sky TV signal through a switch?

digi247

Anyone understand why it is still not working with the non-POE switch, but with both the Tx and Rx powered up? Could something be happening in the switch itself?

digi247 have you ever tried something like this before with success i.e. pass something like a Sky TV signal through a switch?

As i explained HDMI is powered whether its just a standard HDMI cable going from one device into a TV both devies supply 5v power for the cable, when you go to HDMI over Cat5/6 then you still need that 5v power at one end no matter what. if you plug one RJ45 from a Tx into a NON-POE switch you lose that 5v power and thats why you need a POE switch.

I have used other brands other than TM succesfully with POE switches yes, but with a POE switch the TM should also work as all you are doing is sending over HDMI data + Power 5v EDID